|Alias(es)||Mar (to Family)|
Nana Mar (to grandchildren)
|Age||31, 46 (Minion) - prologue|
52 (Make it Last Forever)
73 (Shadow Walker)
|D.O.B||April 5, 1951|
Neteru Guardian Team
|Residence||Temt Tchaas Academy|
|Family||Nafes Shabazz (Husband)|
Christine Stone/Raven † (Daughter)
Damali Richards-Rivera (Adoptive daughter)
Marlene Stone is Damali's mother seer and the biological mother of Christine Stone/Raven. She served as the (L.A. Based Neteru) Guardian team leader and the business manager for Damali's performance group, Warriors of Light. She is married to Nafes Shabazz and is currently the headmistress of the Temt Tchaas Academy.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early Life[edit | edit source]
Born in the South Carolina islands and later relocated to New Orleans. Marlene was the daughter of the church matriarch in the church ran by Armand Richard. After the death of her church pastor, Damali's father, at the hands of the vampire, Fallon Nuit, the church elders wanted her to raise a Neteru baby
Unmarried and secretly pregnant, after Damali's parents were killed. Without any skills or money and her own baby to raise, as well as knowing she'd be hunted by vampires, endangering not only her life, but her own child's, she panicked. She gave Damali the Sankofa tattoo before putting her up for adoption and running .
She spent 15 years searching for Damali after she let her go, encountering Shabazz and losing her own daughter, Christine along the way. Shabazz's company helping to keep her sane through the worst of it.
When she found Damali living on the streets at the age of 15, she was the owner of Warriors of Light productions, a music production company. She recruited Damali off the streets, not telling her at first that she's destined to be a Vampire Huntress.
Physical appearance[edit | edit source]
- Hair: Waist-length silver dreadlocks.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Marlene is a powerful seer and carries a walking stick which doubles as a weapon.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Minion[edit | edit source]
Unmentioned during the prologue, Marlene is a secretly pregnant member of Armand Richards' church. After the events that took place around Damali's parents being killed and Marlene running, the story picks up with a 46 year old Marlene, now leader of the Warriors of Light production company. She recruits Damali off the streets, promising her a music career. Flash forward 5 more years and she's now the mother seer of Damali's original team as Damali slowly comes into her own as the Millennium Neteru.
The Awakening[edit | edit source]
Continuing off where Minion left off, Marlene continues to be the group's mother figure. When Raven sent her third generation vampires to attack the Neteru Guardian Compound, Marlene fled with J.L., Jose and Shabazz. She joined the fight against Raven and her 6 third gen vampires and watched as Damali planted the Isis Blade in Raven's chest, putting her daughters soul to rest after 5 years.
The Hunted[edit | edit source]
Make it Last Forever[edit | edit source]
The Bitten[edit | edit source]
The Forbidden[edit | edit source]
The Damned[edit | edit source]
The Forsaken[edit | edit source]
Ride the Night Wind[edit | edit source]
The Wicked[edit | edit source]
The Cursed[edit | edit source]
The Darkness[edit | edit source]
The Shadows[edit | edit source]
The Thirteenth[edit | edit source]
Dawn and Darkness[edit | edit source]
Shadow Walker[edit | edit source]
Relationships[edit | edit source]
- Christine Stone's Father
- Marlene implies he was killed or turned in The Awakening.
- Nafes Shabazz (Husband)
- Christine Stone/Raven † (Daughter)
- Damali Richards-Rivera (Adoptive daughter)
- Carlos Rivera (Son-in-law)
- Sarah Rivera (Granddaughter)
- Alejandro Rivera (Shadow Walker) (Grandson)
- Kamal † (Former partner, mentor)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Marlene's favorite pastime is watching movies.
- L.A. Banks took inspiration for Marlene from a mother who rescued her daughter from an ice cream truck driver who kidnapped a 13-year-old girl in Philidelphia. She used her station wagon to t-bone the ice cream truck and began assaulting the kidnapper.
- Bobby Berkfield was partially inspired by a boy in the story who alerted the girl's mother to the kidnapping.
- Additional inspiration came from her mother, aunts, and other older women in her life who were the loving, responsible older women who kept the youth in their control on the path of education.
See Also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
-  L.A. Banks on the kidnapping story that inspired Marlene Stone and to an extent, Bobby Berkfield.
-  RT Book Reviews: Interviewing L.A. Banks on her Vampire Huntress Legend Series.
|Edits to this page before January 1, 2021 use CC-BY-SA-licensed content from the Fandom Vampire Huntress Legend Series Wiki.|
- Fandom Licensed Content
- Imported Pages
- Neteru Guardian Team
- Neteru Academy Staff
- Female Guardians
- Neteru Guardians
- Marlene Stone
- Minion Characters
- The Awakening Characters
- The Hunted Characters
- The Bitten Characters
- The Forbidden Characters
- The Damned Characters
- The Forsaken Characters
- The Wicked Characters
- The Cursed Characters
- The Darkness Characters
- The Shadows Characters
- The Thirteenth Characters
- Dawn and Darkness Characters
- Shadow Walker Characters
- Between the Books Characters